Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Aruba, Bon bini say the Dutch people in Blackface? pt 1

Yes, I'm waaay behind on my travel blog, but plz forgive me & plz leave  a comment, as I play catch up:

Aruba: Nov.2013

I booked an Airbnb accomodation which included an airport pick up. Rick was gracious, filled me in on local island happenings, island geography, shopping, beaches, etc. I checked into my studio apt, showered, changed, unpacked,  walked across the street to the beach, enjoyed my ipod tunes, and an amazing sunset. 

After grocery shopping, preparing dinner, sending emails, watching tv, sleep came quickly.

The following morning, I walked to the local mall for coffee, only to run into pre-xmas festivities, a Santa accompanied by his helpers in 'black face'? I mean tar black face, neck, hands, legs. Wow! I was startled, confused. Fortunately, Rick & his girlfriend 'Sally' came along. Rick explained how Sinterklass was originally a Dutch story, much different than the one celebrated in the West as Santa Claus.  For the Dutch, there were no elves, but there were the Moors, from Spain, who are 'honored' &  remain represented in black face (some say it represents chimney soot). Wow!

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

if you really want to get into the entire backstory. Upon research, I learned that 90+ % of the Dutch people don't see the portrayal as racist, but there has still been opposition, that has resulted in some marketing changes that have abandoned 'black face'. 

I definitely felt some kind of way, but resigned to the idea that if local blacks weren't protesting about it, I, as a visitor, would respect their culture and let it go. Hell, the racists in my country rarely wear black face.

Other than that, my arrival to Aruba was without incident!