Sunday, November 3, 2013

2013 Lonnie's Birthday in Chile, pt 5

We departed Easter Island on my birthday, and the only reason everyone on the flight didn't know it, was because I didn't want to embarrass Uncle Rudy (UR), so I kept it inside. We checked into the Hilton Hotel near Santiago airport since UR would be flying back to Atlanta the following day. As soon as we entered our fancy room, UR turned on his phone and shouted, '4 Bars! Yes!' Then he turned on his computer, 'Instant connection...Thank you!' Then turned the big flat screen TV on CNN (aka 'chronically negative news' as my minister calls it),  then UR rejoiced, 'Thank God, Civilization again!!!' Oh well, so much for me getting away from 'civilization'. As UR lay contently in bed, playing with his high tech gadgets, I took a shower, dressed, and proceeded to leave. 'Where you going?' inquired UR. ''It's my birthday, I'm going to dinner." UR decided to join me, along with his tech toys also. I returned to the room and retrieved mine too, so I could check emails. My dinner was not what I ordered, then they brought the right one, which was not tasty, but the staff singing Happy Birthday and providing me a dessert treat was special...courtesy of Uncle Rudy!
 
Uncle Rudy and I hung out a bit in Santiago after we checked out of the Hilton. His flight would depart later that evening, and I would relocate to stay with Andrea, the lovely local I met on the flight from Atlanta to Santiago, her daughter Simone, and dog Mimi. Andrea lived in a wonderful Bohemian area, next to the Museo de Bellas Artes. While she was at  work teaching Neuroscience at a University, doing research, etc. and her daughter was in classes, I learned my way around using buses and the Metro. Being a Spanish speaker was a definite bonus whenever I was lost, people were gracious, kind, and helpful. I visited Valparaiso, a vertical costal port city, with striking ocean views, amazing history, culture, and seafood! 
 
1) Easter Island airport, Brazilian Sista in transit from Figi to Brazil,  2) Hilton Hotel Birthday Dinner, 3) Dessert, 4) Valparaiso (costal city west of Santiago), 5-6) Canon/balls at old coastal Navy fort, 7-14) Valparaiso city sites
 
1)

2)

3)
4)

5)
6)

7)

8)

9)
 

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)
 

No comments: