Sunday, May 23, 2010

Honduras 2







On Saturday, Mel and I arrived at Lake Yajoa and checked into a well known travelers and beer lovers spot called D&D Brewery. The owner Robert is from Oregon and has been making beer for over a decade. Mel loved the beers and the samples I tasted were all the same to me (definately not a beer drinker). There was a swimming pool, restaraunt (the food was edible but not delish!), plenty of games, books, and other travelers. Mel and I took a walk to the river which leads to the lake. We took photos and absorbed the abundance of natural beauty; lush green trees, tropical flowers in amazing colors, large varieties of birds (there are nearly 500 species in the area), and lush green 8000 ft moutains partially covered by clouds, creating a cloud forest.










We met Malcolm the birdman, an eccentric ornatologist that clearly has a passion for nature, birds, and nature and bird lovers. He was quite a funny man in that he had no interest in politics, tv, modern inventions, etc....loved him!










After Mel and I took cold showers (was supposed to have hot water), she got in the bed and promptly jumped out screaming. Pulled back the covers to see big black dead ants. I pulled my covers back and discovered the same, the room had been exterminated but not cleaned. Then we were upgraded to a cabin which was large with a private shower and bathroom. Unfortunately, this room had not been cleaned either. The owner Robert was away and left a newly unemployed American named Lauri to look after his place. Clearly the employees were taking a break too, and not cleaning). We called Lauri to the room and she was embarrassed and apologetic. We changed the linens, swept the floor, and I never slept as the mattress was not comfy.








We moved out the following morning and are now staying at El Cortijo which has view of the lake, a talking/singing green bird, dogs, a white cat, and clean rooms. Mel had to study her University coursework. I got to visit the waterfalls at Pulanpanzak Nat. Pk. The local people are sweet and very helpful so I got around on the locals buses effortlessly. The hike to the waterfall was a long hot one but alas, I followed the sound of falling water until I was there, along side of the falls, walking on slippery rocky steps with my China town umbrella keeping camera and I safe from the mist. I saw another sista (local) who wanted to take a photo while holding my umbrella, then her friend did, and another, and etc. The umbrella was a big hit and the ladies later joined me for a chat and lite lunch at the local eatery. Pictures to be posted soon.
I take a break for now and chat more later. Miss U Mucho,
Lonnie

No comments: