Thursday, October 2, 2008

How quickly things change

I know I left off preparing to ride a boat over to Isabel and it was a 2hr journey in a boat that crashed into waves of steel, leaving internal organs bruised. I even bashed my forehead into the captains chair in a moment just after the boat glided in air then plowed into a run waves, triples, quads, and half twists! I made it through doing yoga breathing and closed eyed meditation. When we arrived on the island, my guide found me and asked me to identify my luggage, then I promptly sat down on a bench. Carlo said íf you want to rest instead of doing this afternoon´s tours, it´s ok´ and I did. The drive across the island was a tour into micro-climates, hot&dry, cool&wet, tropical humidity and heat...all within 45min.


My room was on a main street with a view of the ocean and the sounds of the ways. I laid down to pass out and a sound louder than the crashing waves, howled,´cockle dudo doooo!´ Are you friggin´kidding? but I was ready and pushed the mute button on ´Chicky´with the stuffing of earplugs, Ha!



After a brief rest, I had a great dinner with my guide and his wife & son, very cute family. The next day, B-day, Road horses to Sierra Negra, the Black Forest. There was me, Carlo, and a couple, Xavier & Patricia. We had a blast laughing and joking for the entire slippery, rainy, muddy horseride and volcano hike. We saw the second largest crater in the world and it was a massive sunken black lava hole...jinormous! We stopped along the way and took in fews of birds, insects, and plants. Carlo recounted the history of the Galapagos Island formation and told us when we were standing over the hot spot...fascinating, as you could feel heat from some spots. The horseride and hike took 5hrs and it was sooooo worth it!



Later, we had lunch then visited a lagoon surrounded by lush mangrove. We saw pelicans, sea lions, crabs, shrimp, iguanas, and turtles....and an eagle put on a show for us! He soared, glided, posed and danced! Áfter a swim, we showered and had a special birthday dinner of lobster, rice, beans, salad, and ice cream. They song the birthday song and toasted the occasion then we left for the disco. There, we danced salsa and meringue and had a cocktail! It was a great day!



Yesterday, my new friends, Patricia and Xavier left so my guide took me to Shark Bay where I saw plenty of sharks resting in shallow, warm waters. I always had to watch where I stepped as the iguanas were everywhere, quiet, still, and undisturbed. Neither were the sea lions which you could walk up to and take photos at close range. We then went to the Turtle conservation sancturary where I saw turtles from all over the Galapagos, from the same family but each has evolved into their own tribe. They were later to be introduced back to where they came from.



I visited ´Muro de lacrimas´Wall of Tears´ which prisoners started building before the government stopped it, as soooo many men were dying as a result to the stones falling on them. Even got to see one of America´s secret military bases and heard stories about that lil´history in Ecuador.



Did a wonderful tour of the island and got to see it from the highest point, which was breathtaking views of jungle surrounded by the sea. I saw a lone pink flamingo, got the photos.



The boatride to leave Isabel was not as turbulent as the one coming over but it was rough...Still, I made it back to Santa Cruz. My tour organizer was a nightmare but the actual guide on the boat was quite a character...lots of laughs and interesting commentary as he boated us around the island and to snokel, hiking, and animal viewing sites. Had a great dinner, now it´s off to bed and heading for the airport tomorrow to visit Quayaquil....stayed tuned and thanks for the birthday notes....wish you were here...

No comments: