Thursday, June 4, 2015

Philippines, my side trip to the Island of Palawan, pt 4

It was a short flight to the island of Palawan, where I checked into Mercedes BnB across the street from airport. I then walked along the main street to the ocean (about 8 miles), surprised to find all beach vendors closed, but was advised the shops open in the evenings when the temperatures are cooler and people come out. Duh! Even though it was December, it was humid and temperatures had to have been 90s - 100s.  

 Stopped by a well-stocked Supermarket and found a wonderful deli inside where I dined on chicken adobo, rice, and veggies. I bought a bag of fresh fruit and returned to my room. My feet and legs were throbbing from my long hot walk in flip flops. Still, I showered, collapsed into the bed of my air-conditioned room, watched tv, the snowed-in and freezing east coast of the USA, while I'd been fanning away flies and swatting mosquitoes, daily. Ate fresh fruit for dinner (exhausted legs unable to walk a few yards to the restaurant) and started my island tour the following day.

Pics: Xmas tree made from green soda bottles, Baker's hill (filled with shops of baked goods, purple yam treats, and yummy foods), city tour featuring a monument to the soldiers who were burned alive in a cave where a cathedral now stands, island of underwater caves. Many friendly creatures were present, including monkeys and lizards.



















2 comments:

Unknown said...

What is the most common food you find in your travels? Rice? Do you bring your own water?

Nubian Nomad said...

I'm into lots of fruits, veggies, & seafood. Everywhere I've been sells bottle water, so that's never been an issue. No matter how careful I am, I tend to come home with stomach coodies, take meds x 1wk, and ready for the next trip!