Friday, June 12, 2015

Aitutaki, Cook Islands, Lovely Native people and the most beautiful lagoon in the world! pt 3

Aitutaki (Ah tu tah kee)

Another of the Cook Islands known for 'the most beautiful lagoon in the world'. These pictures don't do any justice to the beauty of the island and the people. I tried to take a walk into town, but a local woman pulled over her motorcycle and offered a ride. I hopped on and we chatted about my impression of the island and people. She was pleased to hear my commentary and pointed me in the direction of the post office where I bought stamps and mailed post cards. 

While in town, I stopped in the grocery store and a few shops. Locals were very friendly and genuinely interested in me and my thoughts about their island. Each of them thanked me for visiting and invited me to return and stay longer than 4 days:). I noticed many kinds of churches (Seven Day Adventist, Jehovah Witness, Baptist, and others. All evidence of the many missionaries who'd come to reprogram the native people, who still maintain their Maori based languages, and many aspects of their native cultures. Unlike Rarotonga, encounters with natives are the rule verses the exception. That was most refreshing, as I was able to learn more about their families, schools, jobs, challenges, travels, pride in the beauty and serenity of their island. It was also nice to hear that they were annoyed by the crowing roosters. Some who'd lived abroad (mostly New Zealand), wanted to leave the island but dutifully came home to take care of ailing, aging parents or help their families. 

The lagoon was amazing and photos don't do it justice, but until you visit....

(Pics: Airport, accomodations (Vaikoa's), beaches, w/Ida, Sheila (New Zealand via Brazil), locals Arita and Mii), 5* dining, The Lagoon, wildlife,  my new Australian friends, lagoon life). 






















No comments: