Friday, October 18, 2013

2013 Birthday in Chile Trip, Pt 1

It was a long trip to Chile, 19+ hrs from LAX to Atlanta to Santiago, but I ended up seated next to Chilean Professor and Neuroscientist, Andrea. We became fast friends, had amazing conversations, and lots of laughs. I learned more about Chile from her than I did my online and book reading! Truly the beginning of an incredible trip. One of my dearest friends Rudy was seated in first class, thanks to his bazillion Delta miles and simply because, 'datz how he roll':-) He would actually be my travel mate for 6 days and spend my Birthday with me, despite my warnings of how obnoxiously I celebrate my Birthday!!! He'd asked me if I wore a sign or something. That gave me an idea...I wouldn't have to keep announcing that it was my birthday if I wore something that announced it...pictures to come!

After spending our first day walking around central Santiago, we retired for the night and flew another 5 hrs out the next day to Easter Island or Isla de Pascua, where there are Polynesian people/culture, volcanos, and archaeological wonders, the most known, are the Maoi statues. They represent the souls of deceased loved ones, mostly Rulers/families members, (please Google the long story) as I know most folks just want to see pics. (Pics: ocean view from our first accommodation, remnants of first people's shelters, Moai statues-pushed over when the commoners overthrew the Rulers, red stone headpiece that once adorned most all statues, baby Moai, a Moai face -all were different and had characteristics of each decedent, Rudy and me).






 

No comments: