Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Lonnie in Nepal #7


























Photos: French/African sista, cultural show, artist, children, Tharu woman



Useless advised me that we couldn't continue onto Jomsom due to a landslide. This was a lie and I knew it but I wanted to return to Pokhara just as quickly as he now did, by any means necessary. He said it would take 2 days to get to a road. (What chu talkin' bout Willis?) It would take 5 hours to simply go down the mountain and another 3 to get to a road. I did the whole thing in 6 and 1/2 hrs, often leaving Useless in the dust behind me. While descending baby Everest, I ran into herds of mules, trekkers, porters (each carrying the backpacks of 2-4 people), bulls, snakes, and grasshoppers...all while crossing waterfalls, bridges, landslides, boulders, etc.

We reached a waiting taxi and zoomed into Pokhara where I stood in the hotel shower and cried. This was not the birthday trip i'd imagined, instead, it was a nightmare that I barely escaped. I still ended up overtipping Useless (regretfully) and furious with the lying jerk who was ultimately responsible for the trip from Hell, the hotel manager, Laxya of Macchupucchre Guest House.
I recovered in Pokhara for a few days but my feet/legs were still swollen and leech-bruised. And if my Spirits weren't low enough, I connected my camera to a computer to download pics and a virus deleted all 240 pictures? Later, I was able to find a wonderful Nepali geek, Devi, who recovered them. At dinner, I met a wonderful traveler, Carla, from Chile and we hung out. I was long overdue for a conversation with someone other than me and Lonnie.
The trek was life altering and I'm already feeling changed, evolved, resilient, and more connected with The Source, and everything, even rocks...
Namaste

No comments: